Skip to main content

Organizing Small Signs for Puppet Songs

I started a new blog over at iKidmin.blogspot.com and it has inspired me to blog more here at puppetspace.com.  I don't know why I have struggled with this blog.  I think it's because I couldn't find just exactly what I wanted to say and show here.

I'm just going to blog about anything puppet related that I think, do or see. :) After all, the blogs are really for me to journal what I do and what I learn along the way.  If it helps somebody else well then I'll be doubly blessed.

This week I was doing some organizing and cleaning behind the stage in our children's dept at my church and came up with a simple solution for our small signs.

I took some paper clips and duct tape and taped the clips at the end of the paddles, then I put hooks back stage and hung the signs on the hooks.  Fast.Simple.Cheap.Easy.


adding paperclips to signs

sticks with paperclips

hooks 2 

hooks backstage

The signs themselves are just clip art enlarged, printed on our color printer, laminated then mounted to foam core board trimmed to fit.  They are then taped onto paint stir paddles that are spray painted black.  Again fast.Simple.Cheap.Easy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest PVC Stage

Our team has always used a stage made of PVC for budget reasons.  I've reconfigured it a few times over the years.  The one we have now is the one I like the best so far.  Someone asked me to share it with them so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else was interested.

First of all there are 3 parts to the finished stage and one person could put it together alone, but two make it easier. There are two poles that go across the middle horizontally to hold everything together. And there is the actual stage part that folds up like an accordion.

Here it is from the side folded up.
Here it is unfolded and the two long pieces placed horizontally in the back.  One at the top and one lower.  This second bar really adds to the stability of the whole stage and keeps puppeteers from moving the back curtain as they go in and out.


Here is how we add the curtains.
Our curtains are in 4 parts.  The front, 2 wings and the back middle.  They are all doubled because the fabric was still …

Cow and Pig Puppets

I made these guys for a song we did with a fall/farm theme.  I love how they turned out.

New Puppet: Giddy

I made a new puppet over the weekend.  She is going to be used in some skits for Wednesday night kids' lessons at church.  We use a pre-written skit from a company called High Voltage Kids and this unit calls for a girl named Giddy.  Giddy is a little country girl who wants a pony.

Here she is:
I used this shape as a base and adapted it as I went.  I wanted to try something different and I like the elongated mouth shape.  I think she turned out very cute.  She is the first puppet I ever made for myself and I can't wait to use her next week!

I will use this pattern shape again, but with more modifications.  I didn't sew her mouth, it's glued. I prefer to sew, but when I'm working with a new design I sometimes get ahead of myself and forget a step.  It may sound silly, but it happens.  Just like I never remember to take pictures of the process. One day I will plan the photos and actually remember to take some.

The best part about this puppet is that I only spent $2…