Welcome to my puppet blog! Take a look around. Contact me if you have questions.
Search This Blog
Lion Puppet in the works...VBS 2013
He's partially done. Needs a few touch ups and a mane! I have the perfect yarn in mind for the mane but I'll have to take a trip to Wal-mart to pick it up.
He'll be cousin, or nephew to "Sir Valiant" one of Group's VBS characters.
Mane in process...
This is the yarn I wanted for the mane:
Yarn for Mane
This is one skein of yarn, partially "curled". It looks like it might take that second skein. I'd like it to be fuller. It will also make him heavier! The puppeteer will need to be experienced and "muscled up".
Our team has always used a stage made of PVC for budget reasons. I've reconfigured it a few times over the years. The one we have now is the one I like the best so far. Someone asked me to share it with them so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else was interested.
First of all there are 3 parts to the finished stage and one person could put it together alone, but two make it easier. There are two poles that go across the middle horizontally to hold everything together. And there is the actual stage part that folds up like an accordion.
Here it is from the side folded up.
Here it is unfolded and the two long pieces placed horizontally in the back. One at the top and one lower. This second bar really adds to the stability of the whole stage and keeps puppeteers from moving the back curtain as they go in and out.
Here is how we add the curtains.
Our curtains are in 4 parts. The front, 2 wings and the back middle. They are all doubled because the fabric was still …
I made a new puppet over the weekend. She is going to be used in some skits for Wednesday night kids' lessons at church. We use a pre-written skit from a company called High Voltage Kids and this unit calls for a girl named Giddy. Giddy is a little country girl who wants a pony.
Here she is:
I used this shape as a base and adapted it as I went. I wanted to try something different and I like the elongated mouth shape. I think she turned out very cute. She is the first puppet I ever made for myself and I can't wait to use her next week!
I will use this pattern shape again, but with more modifications. I didn't sew her mouth, it's glued. I prefer to sew, but when I'm working with a new design I sometimes get ahead of myself and forget a step. It may sound silly, but it happens. Just like I never remember to take pictures of the process. One day I will plan the photos and actually remember to take some.
The best part about this puppet is that I only spent $2…
Hint: for clothing shop yard sales and thrift shops. We just buy black clothing when we see it and eventually it will fit someone.
Everyone will need their own pair of black socks, black gloves and a black hood. In the past I purchased some of these hoods during Halloween season, but recently I have only found them online. I have also made our own hoods on the sewing machine.
For staging you will need lot of black sheets or fabric, black foam core, and/or insulation foam painted black.
Flat latex paint with a flat sponge roller works great.
In the photo you can see our stage set up and we use sheets of insulation foam painted black to create the background.
You need black curtains and staging, I made my own but the fabric is thin and had to be doubled. You could make your own, hang sheets, or use foam boards depending on your needs. See more about my stage…